Dear University Faculty and Staff:
The Board of Visitors recently approved a revised U.Va. mission statement and the strategic direction for the University described in the Cornerstone Plan.
The Board specifically noted and commended the effort that went into the strategic plan from many people across the University community.
I am grateful to so many of you for your involvement in the development of our new strategic plan. Over 10,000 faculty, staff, students, alumni, and community members directly participated in the strategic planning process.
The five pillars of the Cornerstone Plan will give us a strong foundation for sustained excellence. The pillars are:
- Extend and strengthen the University's distinctive residential culture;
- Strengthen the University's capacity to advance knowledge and serve the Commonwealth of Virginia, the nation and the world through research, scholarship, creative arts and innovation;
- Provide educational experiences that deliver new levels of student engagement;
- Assemble and support a distinguishing faculty;
- Steward the University's resources to promote academic excellence and affordable access.
While we have confirmed our strategic direction, much work remains to be done in making the various components of the plan a reality. The transition from planning to implementation and continuous planning is underway. Milton Adams is heading the Continuous Planning Office, and will oversee the implementation process and integrated planning going forward. We will continue to seek input from faculty and staff in this new phase.
We are only a few years away from celebrating the bicentennial of U.Va.'s founding. The Cornerstone Plan will guide our collective effort to ensure a legacy of academic excellence for generations to come. I look forward to working together with you to achieve this goal.
In this season of thanks, I send my gratitude and good wishes for a happy holiday season.
Teresa A. Sullivan